Find The Right Colorado Builder For Your Custom Modern House Today
Whether you want an addition for your current home, to renovate a historic home, or to build your perfect mountain home from the ground up, you’ll need to find the right Colorado builder.
We’ve all been there. Something’s just not working about your current home. Maybe you need an addition to accommodate your growing family. Perhaps your spouse just finished a course in culinary arts and wants a kitchen as fancy as their new skills. You’d like to add a tile mudroom for winter gear, to save your hardwood floors from sopping snow boots. Your master bed and bath needs a serious update. Or maybe nothing about your current house is working, and you’re ready to begin the process of creating your perfect custom home.
Finding a residential contractor to bring your vision to reality can be tricky. Here are a few steps you can take to ensure that the build team you hire is up for the job.
Step 1: Define Your Vision—So Your Colorado Builder Can Give You An Accurate Bid
Before you’ve even picked up the phone, it’s important to clarify what you want. Without clarity, you can’t discuss your needs in a concise way. Builders can only price and create what they understand.
Answer the following questions:
- What do you want to build?
- How much do you want to spend?
Answers may look something like this:
- “I am looking to build a 2,000 sq. ft. home with 3 bedrooms, 2 ½ baths, and lots of light. I want a wonderful fireplace and a gourmet kitchen. My budget is $750,000.”
- “My wife and I want a retirement home that’s sustainable and low maintenance. We plan to spend between $800,000-$1 million.”
If you want to take it one step further, collect images from the internet or tour projects similar to what you are trying to achieve. Remember, the more clearly you communicate your needs, the easier it will be for the contractor to come up with a project plan for you.
Be Honest About Your New House Budget
Be honest with your Colorado builder about your budget and your wishes. Your contractor needs a snapshot of what you are trying to achieve, as a starting point from which to make suggestions and to share what’s possible.
Step 2: Ask for Colorado Builder References From Former Clients
A referral is worth its weight in gold. Take time to ask your friends, your realtor, or relatives what Colorado builders they’ve used and what the experience was like. Tap into local Facebook groups, Next Door, and other community boards to learn about builders in your area. Ask a building inspector which home renovation contractors routinely meet code requirements with minimal stress.
In addition to word-of-mouth, check out reviews on social media and testimonials on the builder’s website. Once you’ve narrowed your choice to two Colorado builders, reach out to their specific clients.
Step 3: Do Phone or Zoom Interviews With Colorado Builders
Do a mini-interview with all of your top candidates.
Zoom is nice, since it gives you insight into body language and communication skills. A phone call can be just as good, if you know what to listen for.
Questions to Ask Yourself, When Interviewing a Contractor
- Do they speak clearly?
- Are they taking time to answer every question to the best of their ability?
- Do they come from a place of confidence?
Questions to Ask A Colorado Contractor
- Do you take on projects of this size?
- Are you willing to provide financial references from suppliers or banks?
- Can you provide a list of previous clients as references?
- How many other projects will you have going at the same time?
- How long have you worked with your subcontractors?
- How do you typically price your jobs?
- Are you willing to work with me to hone in on the project budget?
Step 4: Meet Your Prospective Colorado Builder In Person
After completing phone interviews, it’s time to meet your top contractor choices in person. Narrow down your candidates to two or three that check most of your boxes.
Schedule in-person meetings with each of these builders to learn more about their team, their process, and how they show up. Ask them to visit your lot or home and to review your concepts and budget.
Keep in mind, there is no reason to rush this selection process.
Before your meeting, feel free to ask to review a typical contract, a sample budget, and a project schedule.
Step 5: Narrow Your Focus
Not all Colorado builders work the same way. Some work for a fixed fee. Some charge for the cost of time plus materials. During your interview process, you will be able to find a builder that makes sense for your job.
Listen to your gut.
The person you are about to hire will be representing your vision, budget, and best interest for the life of your project. If it doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.
Once You’ve Chosen The Perfect Colorado Builder…
It’s time to get started!
Draw up a contract that details every step of the project, including:
- Proof of liability insurance and worker’s compensation payments
- Specific materials and products to be used
- A requirement that the contractor obtain lien releases from all subcontractors and suppliers, as well as warranties and their termination clauses. The lien releases protects you from liability, if the contractor doesn’t pay their bills.
If you have an actual written agreement, you’re starting your Colorado home renovation or new build on the right track.
Have more questions about this process? We’ve got answers! Get in touch today.